Yogyakarta BBPPKS in Action
YOGYAKARTA (May 12, 2020) – The
COVID-19 pandemic has had an impact on all levels of society, especially those
with social problems. Psychologically, their lives have become increasingly
difficult with the pandemic affecting people’s economy.
The Yogyakarta Bergerak BBPPKS (Social Welfare Education and Training Center) Support Services Team (LDP) conducted outreach activities to people affected by COVID-19.
Located in Kricak Urban Village, Tegalrejo Sub-District, Yogyakarta City, the team coordinated with TKSK (District Social Welfare Workers), the Head of Urban Village, PSM (Community Social Workers), and PKH (Family Hope Program) Facilitators to determine which residents will be the target of LDP services.
Next, the Team visited several residents that are prone to social problems, including:
1. The family of Mr. Rahman, a photocopy service worker,
2. An elderly named Mrs. Wagirah (84 years old) who has physical and mental disabilities,
3. The family of Mr. Suwarno, a pedicab driver with 5 children, one of whom has mental problems
4. The family of Mr. Sabar (30 years old), a sand seeker whose first child (5 years old) has a physical disability (a withered cripple),
5. The family of Mrs. Wanti, a food seller whose grandson (5 years old) has a physical disability (enlarged head).
The LDP team invited the families to share their stories about social problems they faced and then provided motivation and support so that they live a vigorous life. At the end of the visit, the Team handed over a parcel of basic food. Hopefully, it can be useful for them.